Friday, November 20, 2009

Good-bye Grads, Hello Kisumu


The school is on trimesters here and their third and final trimester just finished. Now we’re on holiday until January when their new school year starts. The past couple of weeks preparing for big tests and Prayer Day and Graduation have been a lot of fun. Set a week apart, the ceremonies were pre and post the really big tests for class eight.

The community aspect is one of the things I'm enjoying most about my school. Since many of the students live here and are in small classes from 1-8 together, all the ages really look out for one another. It didn't surprise me, then, that the support was tremendous for the 17 class eights who were preparing for their big transition. On Prayer Day, every class presented a song and a dance for them. A very exuberant pastor also came and gave them a message and some powerful prayers that got them in the right frame of mind for test-taking. A lot of pressure was riding on them, as the test determines what kind of Secondary School they go to, which in turn, has a really big impact on if they will make it to University. It was a very bright and determined class, so I’m sure they will go far. I think we all had fun learning and performing new songs (I brushed up on my limited guitar knowledge and played some Christmas carols on the piano…way fun). In true Kenyan style, the ceremonies both lasted all day and had many hitches, but that didn’t keep it from being a joyful and celebratory experience for all.

Next, I’m headed to Kisumu, which is in the Western Province of the country. It’s near Lake Victoria where the Nile flows up from. I hear they eat a lot of fish. I’ll be working for the YWCA this time. Job and living situation TBD. I’ve had a slight delay in Nairobi here, as I’ve contracted a mild form of malaria. Day three on medications and I’m feeling ninety times better. Mostly was a bad flu. Don’t Wikipedia malaria. Don’t.

On another unrelated note, I wanted to post a huge THANK YOU on my blog. I have officially met and exceeded my fundraising goal of $9,000. As many of you know, I was nervous about this aspect of this program and being able to raise this much money, but it seems like a lot of you had more faith than I did. So, really, I can’t thank you enough. I appreciate all of your support financially and otherwise. If you would still like to donate to some of the work here, I do have some ideas, so let me know. But wow, you’ve all blown me away.

Happy early thanksgiving,

DD

1 comment:

Tyler said...

So you had the malaria med dream at orientation for nothing? Hope all is well! Mad love from the India crew.