Thursday, April 1, 2010

What's UPdate

-The first term of school has been really busy, and I’ve been mostly consumed with co-directing the school play and taking it to various level competitions

-I moved to my own house on our school campus, nearest to the boys’ dormitories- who like to knock on my door to play UNO at odd hours

-I became a class teacher of Std 6. We are a class of 9 and they have really improved over the course of the term. I threw them a party

-I went to Kisumu near Lake Victoria for the National Drama Festivals. We didn’t place, but it was definitely an accomplishment to make it to the competition. I was so proud of our little ones. They really did their darndest.

-We took a boat ride on the big Lake (second largest freshwater lake in the world, only to Lake Superior) as a group and ate some freshly caught (like 5 min ago) fish

- I was able to take a day trip on my own in Kisumu and road on my first motorcycle (piki piki in Kiswahili) and got a special boat ride to see some hippos swimming around

-I got accepted to McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago, and I’m now heavily weighing all the factors in going next year

-After my trip west, I went to the east coast, Mombasa and Malindi on the Indian Ocean, for some R & R with a fellow YAV teacher

-Went swimming every day on the coast because it was too ungodly hot to do much of anything else…developed a nice sunburn

- I’ll probably head back to Meru in the next couple days to teach those who want some extra assistance in the April holidays

- I’m a bridesmaid in my Kenyan friends’ wedding- a marathon ceremony will ensue on May 1

- Finding it hard to believe that come July 25th I’m leaving Kenya… Only about three more months…

No comments: