Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Partnership


Preaching with some interpretation in
Kimeru.


watching the children's choir sing and dance.


signing, lighting the candle, making the thing official.

I preached this past Sunday at Kithino Parish P.C.E.A. near Nkobo. Oswego Presbyterian Church, my home church, has begun a partnership and this (eight hour) service was the kickoff here. It was a great experience to have right before leaving.

Scripture Focus: John 15:1-5, 12-17
Romans 12:1-18

For as in one body we have many members, and not all the members have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually we are members one of another.

Sermon July 18, 2010

Good morning everyone. Bwanasifiwe. My name is Deanna Drake. However, I have earned some new names since being in Kenya. It’s up to you to choose your favorite: in KiMeru I’ve been called Kendi or McKenna, and by a parish in Kiambu, I was named Wanjiku. In fact, I think I’m starting to like my other names more than my original…

I have been in Kenya since late September of last year, and I’m sad to say that this is my last weekend. I have to get through this sermon, so I can’t dwell on the sadness too much. But the the truth is, I’ve had a wonderful experience here. I have been working through the P.C.E.A. in connection with the P.C.U.S.A. as a Young Adult Volunteer. Mostly, I have been teaching in Meru Town in a Primary School known as Meru Junior. I must confess, though, I have probably learned more from my pupils than they have from me. I tried my best teaching them English, C.R.E. and some creative arts.

I bring you greetings from my home church in the U.S., which is the Oswego Presbyterian Church. It is a rapidly growing congregation (I look at the pictures and I hardly recognize anyone anymore!) south of the big (Obama’s) city of Chicago. But I’ll let you hear from them, as I read you their letter addressed to Kithino Parish.

Letter is Read:

From God’s people at Oswego Presbyterian Church, servants of Christ Jesus, claimed by him as his own, along with all people everywhere who invoke the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the saints and faithful brothers and sisters in Christ in Kithino Parish, Kenya.

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ!

We are a congregation of about 700 in Oswego, Illinois 50 miles west of Chicago where city meets farmland. Our members are people of all ages and all walks of life; teachers, truck drivers, farmers, engineers, librarians, janitors, accountants, business men and women, mothers and fathers. We have more than 300 children among our member families and we take very seriously the baptismal vows to nurture them in the Love of Christ. We are a committed congregation of believers on a journey with Christ to serve our community and the world.

Our beliefs about God and our place in the world are summarized in the “Brief Statement of Faith of the Presbyterian Church USA” which we recite often in church services. As we begin our journey together in this new “partnership” we would like to share with you these words taken from the “Brief Statement of Faith” (shared later in the service):

In our congregation we say the following almost every Sunday:

One: God is good.

All: All the time.

One: All the time.

All: God is good.

It is said several times until everyone is participating. On July 18 at our worship services we will be saying this as we think of you and our new partnership. We invite you to do the same.

We are grateful that Deanna, one of our own, can be with you in Kenya as you celebrate the beginning of our partnership and we rejoice that she will soon be celebrating with us.

We look forward to sharing our faith with you and to supporting one another in our walk with Christ.

Pastor Terry Hennesy

Pastor Jack Lilley

Elder Ted Mathewson

The People of Oswego Presbyterian Church

I am sure that they look forward to receiving your greetings as well…

I would like to focus today on this partnership. First of all, know that our congregation is very enthusiastic about the start of this relationship and is looking forward to the dreams we can create together. I’d like to talk this morning about some of what partnership has meant for me over this year living in Kenya- partnership with my brothers and sisters in Christ in this community, as well as how these relationships have strengthened my partnership with God.

The first, and probably the most important lesson I learned in Kenya was the priority of tea time. I didn’t understand because we don’t have scheduled tea breaks in the U.S. In fact, we don’t drink a lot of tea. Sometimes coffee breaks, but that is usually in order to infuse ourselves with caffeine for energy to rush off to the next thing. Tea and more specifically TIME for tea in Kenya, I learned, is sacred. In the beginning, I kept to my American sensibilities and rushed to and from events, worrying about being late and not accomplishing “enough.” It took quite a good number of patient friends to slow me down and make me understand that the process is: first, you take tea. Then, you can go about your business. And what you’re really saying here is that: first, it’s important to build a relationship. And then, everything else comes after. Our dear Reverend here was a great example when, this morning, he had to make sure I arrived early enough to have a cup of tea with him, he said, “it wouldn’t be right, otherwise.”

And it’s true, having tea, taking the time out for relationship is what makes us “right” with each other. Probably my best times in Kenya have been shared over several (sweet) cups of tea. It’s made me understand in a very real way, that at the end of the day, we belong to each other and to God. You see, because it’s God that meets us there during our tea break…God in fact is probably in that tea, because He/She is the force that is always working to bring us together- to be unified, share ideas, and gather strength from each other.

Can I tell you about the time I tried to make tea? It took my staff at school a good 6 months to trust me with the very important task, and I really felt honored when instead of serving me tea, I was given the opportunity to serve them back. So, we were at a sort of campsite on a school tour with those big sufurias (cooking pots) and firewood. Everything was set up when the matron went to bathe, leaving me in charge. So, I’m watching this milk. And I’m watching it… for about 45 minutes, I’ve been watching it. The matron came back from her shower, empty teacup in hand only to find…this milk has not boiled. Turned out…you don’t only have to watch the milk, but you might want to also keep an eye on the firewood and make sure that it doesn’t go out. With her help, 10 mins later the fire was ablaze and hot tea was served.

It made me think- sometimes we are like this- waiting and waiting- almost giving up because the things we hope for are not coming true. It takes an opening, then, in our hearts to others and to God to see anew what the possible solutions are to our challenges. God speaks through us. We are the vehicles, and yet it’s not always easy to listen. You heard the scripture verse about the body- it’s saying basically- we cannot function without each other. More than anything, I think partnership is first and foremost about this relationship building. And I have learned many skills from living here on this subject. I hope back home they’ll learn to like tea. I’ll do my best not to let the milk just sit in the pot…

The second thing I think partnership is about is growing together in faith. I took a brief trip to the coast in April (wow it was hot!), and I remember very clearly seeing Baobob trees for the first time. They really paint the landscape in a beautiful way. Now, we read the verse in John about the vine and the branches. But as soon as I saw those trees, I thought, God’s no vine, God is definitely a baobob trunk. It’s amazing to see these mighty and old trees thrive in an environment that is so harsh. My small research on these species revealed that one of their survival tactics is that they store water in their mighty trunks for the dry seasons. And I thought, that’s kind of like God- growing wider and wider everyday, having us cared for and loved when we need it most. What I like about the John passage is not so much even the first part of the passage, but the second part that was read. Because in the first part, John talks about how we can accomplish nothing apart from God, and in the second part, he talks about how these branches extend directly to each other. “love one another as I have loved you,” and also, “for now I call you friends.” Apart from God, we can do nothing, and apart from each other, we really can do nothing. God has given us each other so that we can grow together like the baobob- when a dry season comes in our lives, we have something to offer one another.

One way I’ve grown in faith by being here is: dancing. You will possibly be shocked to know that in the U.S.A. Presbyterian Church, there is hardly any dancing done during the service. Imagine! In fact, it’s hard to get most congregations to even clap, let alone on the right rhythms. I have to admit that letting my feet move and my arms sway in the pews made me a bit uncomfortable at first, but now I’m more afraid that when I go home, people will look at me strange when I have the urge to move during the service. I’ll promise to try and get people in the U.S. to dance, but that might take a lot more growing... I could even justify it by something my pastor has often said, that heaven will be like one big “dance with the divine.” Why not start now? says the church in Kenya

One time, the director of my school took me to Isiolo, where we have our school farm. My skills in farming are very minimal, but I was anxious to learn. However, when they handed me a panga (machete), I had a look on my face of extreme confusion. What I didn’t know then, which I know now, is that a panga is a tool of magical powers- it can almost do anything. On the shamba (farm), it loosens the dirt, digs the dirt, plants the seed and covers the seed all in one fell swoop. All the other workers had a great time laughing at this mzungu (white person) taking 5 minutes to plant 5 seeds. But I worked, and eventually even earned myself a blister from my panga hand. But I tell you the truth- those seeds would never have grown without the careful guidance of my farming teachers. Likewise, there will be no harvest if we do not recognize the need, God calling us, to reach out to one another. There are things that we can definitely learn from each other. So we will plant these seeds together and see what will grow.

The third thing I think partnership is about is building a wider community of Christ’s love in the world. Now this word, “community,” is sort of a foreign word for Americans. We come from the land of individualism, and “do it yourself” attitudes. These attitudes were highly challenged for me while I’ve been in Kenya. I have about 10 Mamas where I live. I start to walk out my door, “where are you going?” “To the market…” “Not wearing that, carrying that bag you’re not…” say my Kenyan mothers. I had a dress made in Kenya and I found a new Mama there in the tailor who refused to make me any dress without something covering the shoulders. My mamas laughed all year at how I had peeled potatoes… (Americans can’t do all cooking with one knife like you amazing women here). I rolled my eyes like any child would, but the thing was, I was never left alone in their criticisms. They remarked on my going to the market, but then they accompanied me. My dress made was beautiful and I can wear it here. I may not know how to peel potatoes efficiently, but now I know how to make a sweet mokimo (traditional kenyan dish with potatoes) because my mamas would help me cook the meals. I tried to do things my way, the solo way, but found that the togetherness always did turn out to be the better way to do things. Americans try very hard, in general, not to need anything from anybody. But if we’re all really honest with each other, we’re all in need…and for this need…God gives us each other.

The first Kenyan wedding that I ever attended was actually a wedding that I had a privilege to participate in as a bridesmaid. It was a great honor to be in on the whole process from start to finish. I loved how the community came together, old and young couples, to offer advice and support to the couple just starting off. But I became really nervous on that day. It had rained that last night and the ground was still wet. As I started to process out with the other maids, I felt my high heels sticking into the mud. I swear, it was by God’s grace that I did not fall on my face that day. I was nervous because the bride had to walk the same path and her dress was much whiter and bigger than ours were. But as I frantically looked back to see how she was faring, I was put totally at ease when she was carried. All of her mamas were there making sure not one hem of her dress touched the ground. Just like this, God gives us each other to be carried at times, and other times to be carried through and over life’s challenges.

I came with 5 other volunteers in my program. They are serving in different parts of the country, but we get together a few times over the year for retreats and reflections. Our final retreat was to the rural western part of the country where we performed some work in a public school. There, we painted a mural on the wall of Std. 1. However, it almost fell apart. We had very limited time and supplies, so we were almost to leave a half drawn, half painted, one-coated job done when our hero from that community stepped out of the darkness. It turned out that he was a professional painter and was able to guide us on when to use which paints and which chemicals to use, etc. There’s no way that mural could have been finished without him. Left to our own devices, our rainbow was blending into a nice brown color. See, God sees the whole picture and we have but a small part… but He/She gives us each other in order to see a brighter, more beautiful, more complete picture.

Thank you all once again for your very warm welcome this morning on behalf of myself and my congregation back home. I have learned and grown so much by living here, and as we continue on in partnership, let us have a two way street where we build a relationship, grow together in faith and make Christ’s community of love become wider in the world. Amen.

1 comment:

Elyse said...

My favorite is "Babe."

Thanks for posting this - I could see you reading it and it made me smile.

Enjoy your remaining time in Africa. But I can't wait to see your beautiful smile and hear your infectious laugh again soon!

-Your Babe